David L . Nicol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>does sysV shm not support the equivalent security as the file system?

mmap() has the file system.

>Did I not just describe how a .so or a DLL works currently?

And behind the scenes that does something akin to:

int fd = open("file_of_posn_indepenant_byte_code",O_RDONLY);
struct stat st;
fstat(fd,&st);
code_t *code = mmap(NULL,st.st_len,PROT_READ,MAP_SHARED,fd,0);
close(fd);

strace (linux) or truss (solaris) will show you what I mean.

And then trusts to OS to honour MAP_SHARED.  (mmap() is POSIX.)

Win32 has "something similar" but I don't remember the function names off
hand.

Or you can embed your bytecode in

const char script[] = {...};

and link/dlopen() it and then you have classical shared text.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons