[cc'ed to perl6-internals]

AS> A TIL doesn't stand in the way.  You just don't get the same
AS> advantages (e.g. code compactness, e.g. reasonably easy peephole
AS> optimisation for unthreaded code) if you try to compile to a TIL.
AS> Which is not surprising, since Perl is not Forth.

Sorry, I'm not following. Why do you lose all these?

Why is a TIL not compact? (Hard to imagine anything more compact.)

What does a TIL have to do with peephole optimization? A word has to
be done or not. If there are some magic combinations of operations that
are done very regularly, a new word that does that combo could be provided.
If the representation doesn't allow for certain optimizations, the TIL is
not the optree, but rather the final executable form. The compiler could
in fact create new words optimized just for the job.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183