At 02:37 PM 9/18/2001 -0700, Damien Neil wrote:
>Proposed: Parrot should never crash due to malformed bytecode.  When
>choosing between execution speed and bytecode safety, safety should
>always win.  Careful op design and possibly a validation pass before
>execution will hopefully keep the speed penalty to a minimum.
>
>Yes, no?

Yes and no.

The default dispatch loop shouldn't check. The Safe dispatch loop (note the
caps there... :) should check.

Checking is more than just a plain safety issue. There are resource checks,
different jump op functions, and a variety of disabled or paranoid things
in there.

It's a non-trivial problem, but it is one that we should, and must, address
at some point. I hadn't planned on doing it so soon, but if someone's so
inclined, that'd be great. :)