Mr. Nobody:
# --- Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
# > *) ICU building
# > *) Unicode encoding
#
# Do we really need unicode in parrot? Seems to me like it
# dosen't really accomplish much but making string operations
# much slower. People would still be able to use it even if
# strings aren't encoded with it.

I suspect you have English blinders over your eyes.

We need to support non-ASCII encodings to support people in other
countries.  We need to support Unicode so that data can be converted
between all these encodings without a combinatorial explosion of
converters.

If we don't implement Unicode ourselves, every language that uses
Unicode (including Perl, with the :uN regex modifiers) will have to
implement it--separately, slowly and probably incompletely.  This is
going to lead to bugs, incompatibility, holes in functionality and other
generally Bad Things.

Would you rather that Parrot implement Unicode once and make sure it's
right, or that a dozen languages all implement their own incompatible,
broken Unicode systems?

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

"If you want to propagate an outrageously evil idea, your conclusion
must be brazenly clear, but your proof unintelligible."
    --Ayn Rand, explaining how today's philosophies came to be