Tom Christiansen wrote:

> Have all here please looked at
>
>     use Fatal qw(:void open close);
>
> yet?
>
> thanks,

Thanks for the gentle reminder Tom.  Yes we have.  When I use
the generic C<use fatal;> in my comments, I'm referring to just
that sort of functionality.

Everyone here seems to agree that, by default, core Perl should
generate the same sort of internal exceptions it does now (ie,
$@, via die) in just the same sort of cases it does now, and
should by default use failure-signalling return codes in just
the sort of cases it does now.

Is far as I can tell, no-one here is anti-quick-and-dirty.

There's a general concensus that even if Perl 6 does get the
ability to generate exception-based failure-signalling for what
is now return-based, that should be under the control of this
use fatal; thingy.

Some concern has been expressed that if exception-based error
signalling catches on, then if some popular modules don't
respect the status of C<use fatal;>, then some common styles
of coding will no longer work.  A few (about 4 significant
ones, actually) lines of code were posted to show how a module
author can use either style and still support the other one.

Other than the usual quibbling about syntax, and how to make
to RFC read better, everything's on track here as far as I can
see.

Yours, &c, Tony Olekshy