I wish I knew why you are discussing in -internals issue on this list.
You should be specifying behaviour not how it is implemented. A mention
of implementation is reasonable but _don't_ spend too much time. If Larry
wants it. -internals will give it to him.

Anyway, please recall that because of threading concerns, the final
internal form of any compiled piece of code will be as immutable as
possible. So that if another thread needs to reslurp a module, the
compiled form will be available.

Of course, some initializations would have to be rerun, but that is
minor compared to the other costs.

Remember specify _as if_ it would do X. -internals will make it so.
As fast as possible.

<chaim>
(Of course some requests will not be doable and some revisitin will
have to be performed but the first cut should not be too concerned.)
<c>

--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183