> And how do we make it easy to pass in a name to open?

In an email I sent to Jarkko off-list, I suggested this:

If we embedded full URI support into Perl, then people could write
portable scripts using URIs, or non-portable ones using native syntax.
*Internally*, both could be converted into some other format for Perl to
deal with. For example:

   open "C:\Windows\System";         # non-portable
   open "file://C|/Windows/System";  # portable

Under the hood, these could be converted into huge structs or something
else that the user never has to know or care about.

Many others have begged :-) for URI support in open(), so it'll be in
there. This seems like the easiest thing todo. No reason to reinvent the
wheel, URIs are a well-established platform-independent naming scheme.

-Nate