> This whole thing is actually a deep and complicated imbroglio--as I know
   > you, Damian, are aware.  I don't know your ideas for untangling it.

Sure you do: indirect objects MUST DIE! ;-)

But I freely admit that's not a satisfactory solution.

Meanwhile, thank-you for the masterly summary of the issue.

My own thinking on the issue tends towards requiring the (currently optional)
braces around the indirect object. This syntactically differentiates the
indirect object syntax from other alternatives:

        print $x;       # Always CORE::print($x) even if $x blessed
        print {$x};     # Always $x->print(), stringifying $x if necessary

Damian