Tom Christiansen wrote:

> But I will *not* relish typing
>
>     STDERR->print("darn")

Agreed. The day this is required is the day Perl stops becoming fun and
starts becoming C++.

No matter what, I think that any basic script should be able to be
written without any ->'s.

One goal of my RFC was to promote the idea that this

   print STDOUT @stuff;

Could be written as:

   print STDOUT, @stuff;

Which actually clears something up. You know that STDOUT is now an
argument, and NOT a function whose return value print is going to
operate on.

I strongly disagree that indirect objects must die. I just think the
syntax needs to be even *more* flexible, allowing better ways of calling
functions and voluntarily disambiguating them, without forcing ()'s all
over the place.

> Currently you cannot know (in isolation) what's happening with:
>
>     X Y;
>
> This I certainly find quite disturbing.  I often think that should
> much prefer that it be

Sorry, Tom, I've gotta take a shot at you here. :-) You chopped down my
RFC 147 - which admittedly deserved to die - because I said several
things about conflating references and numbers in scalars were
"disturbing". Same here. It's not disturbing, it's beautiful, at least
to me.

Why? Because I don't have to care! If I want to, I include the ->. But
if not, and my Cookbook just says:

   use CGI;
   chomp $stuff;

I don't have to care if that's CORE::chomp, CGI::chomp, main::chomp, or
$stuff->chomp. Simple. Beautiful. I *love* it. Really, I do.

-Nate