Graham> You say "operator" and you are right. I think the issue is a sub
Graham> can return either.

Really?  How does a sub return "an array"?

(Unless you're about to mutter something about "lvalue subs" :) a sub
can return only an rvalue.  An "array" as an rvalue is always a list.

Unless we disagree on the meaning of array and list.  In that case,
let's get back to terminology. :)