Thus it was written in the epistle of Jon Ericson,
> Ted Ashton wrote:
> > Thus it was written in the epistle of Tom Christiansen,
> > > Nope.  A filehandle is a singular whatzitz.  It thus mandatory takes
> > > the singular prefix; to wit, $.  What's next?  Integer and float and
> > > complex and string and char and bits prefixes?
> >
> > (Weighing in with the traditional "but Tom" message)
> >
> > But Tom, filehandles are different gadgets.
>
> Filehandles singular, atomic gadgets.
> Singular, atomic gadgets are called scalars in Perl.
>
> > They have been in perl up to this
> > point and they are conceptually.
>
> This is a historical accident.
>
> > I've appreciated and agreed with your linking
> > the punctuation before a variable to parts of speech, but if the you decide
> > that $ is the single singular whatzitz, then what is the plural whatzitz?
>
> Arrays (and hashes)

But that, precisely, was my point:  Arrays *and* hashes.  If there is more than
one plural whatzitz, then why can't there be more than one singular whatzitz?
(and don't say, "because plural *means* more than one" :-).  If having a
filehandle character would make the code clearer, then let's do it.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
To throw in a fair game at Hazards only three-spots, when something great is