On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:34:36PM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> > Deprecate localtime() and replace with ????
>
> I'm willing to take a first whack at this one (but only with lots of
> input from others).

I'll help.  Let's call the replacement gmt2date() for now.

gmt2date() should at least (IMHO):
        * return undef on failure (whatever that means)
        * output 4 (or more) digit years
        * have some mechanism to say "I really want localtime" rather
          than GMT
        * allow for fractional seconds (as per Gisle Aas's higher
          time-resolution RFC)
        * have a well defined range of time for which it gives correct
          answers

date2gmt() should at least (IMHO agian):
        * return undef on failure (whatever that means)
        * accept 4 (or more) digit years
        * have some mechanism to say "I just gave you the seconds in
          localtime" rather than GMT
        * have a way to specify whether or not it's arguments
          should be range checked (thus it can accept weird dates like
          the 77th day of January (julian days) and still give a
          correct GMT value if we so desire)
        * allow for fractional seconds (as per Gisle Aas's higher
          time-resolution RFC)
        * have a well defined range of time for which it gives correct
          answers

This is just off the top of my head and aren't well thought out ...
but that's what RFCs are for, no?  :-)

> > That Perl should stay Perl
>
> Do we need an RFC for this? Seems like this is more of a "guiding
> concept" that should be intergrated into everything. Just my opinion.

Well, it can't hurt to have a document to look at every now and then
to remind us what Perl should look/feel like.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]