> Thats just because IO::Socket is done wrong

Maybe we should address this? If we're keeping syscalls just because a
possible replacement module is just written wrong, we should fix this.

I don't like giving up low-level control either, but imagine something
like this:

    $port = shift || 2345;                    # port to connect to
    $socket = open $port, IO::Socket,         # new portable open()
        { SOCK, PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, TCP };  # I know "TCP" is wrong

We could then make "socket()" a simple shortcut for this, or just
deprecate it.

Anyways, I'm not claiming this is a *good* idea, but just that if "we
could do it except for the fact that IO::Socket sucks", we should look
at fixing IO::Socket.

-Nate