On 07 Aug 2000 17:27:55 -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:

>He mentioned two different encodings. Logical and Visual. I'm not clear
>which is which. One orders the characters so that the first char is
>first. The other reorders the characters to correctly display on a
>device that can not understand rtl text.

I gathered that much. I've known ofthis trick being used for inputting
RtL text into non-RtL savvy word processors.

It's just that, in his application area, CGI, that the browser just
might display it as RtL regardless of what he expected.

It sounds like a hack. Should Perl support such hacks in the core?

Is this sofisticated enough, or do we need something more low-level?

        $ltr = join '', reverse split /($sequence|.)/, $rtl;

--
        Bart.