2000-08-10-02:40:41 Perl6 RFC Librarian:
> RFC 70 proposes that all builtins throw trappable exceptions on
> error.

Not quite. RFC 70 acknowleges that perl's current behavior is
preferred by some very focal participants in the language's
development, and even if it weren't, that switching all builtins to
throw exceptions is too radical a change.

Rather, RFC 70 proposes that some (I hope!) subtle blemishes on
perl's innards get polished up a bit, so that all builtins that can
returns errors, can also be wrapped. If that fix were made, then the
already-available module Fatal.pm, included with perl releases for
some time now, could be made to work with all builtins, at which
point it would be a reasonable amount of additional work to make it
really easy to change this aspect of perl's behavior. I really hope
to be starting all my programs with

        use Fatal qw(:all);

So, yes, there's a connection between RFC 70 and RFC 80, but I
submit that it's a little bit looser. If RFC 70 should prevail, then
Fatal.pm will step into the limelight, and _it_ should be made to
honor RFC 80 (or whatever ends up specifying the exception classes
for builtins).

-Bennett

PGP signature