Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and "Ed Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> whispe
red:
| So we establish a var $something=n where n is the array origin.

You mean something like $[, which we've had for many, many years.  And
which for many, many years we've discouraged the use of?

       $[      The index of the first element in an array, and of
               the first character in a substring.  Default is 0,
               but you could theoretically set it to 1 to make
               Perl behave more like awk (or Fortran) when
               subscripting and when evaluating the index() and
               substr() functions.  (Mnemonic: [ begins
               subscripts.)

               As of release 5 of Perl, assignment to `$[' is
               treated as a compiler directive, and cannot
               influence the behavior of any other file.  Its use
               is highly discouraged.

Please, let's not.  It was more confusing than it was worth the first time.

-spp