Graham Barr once allowed as how he thought it would be neat if you could say

        for my($x, $y, $z) (@list) { ... }

i.e., more than one loop variable, assigned successively from the list.  He
didn't have time to RFC it, but when I looked at it, a problem arose: if
the loop variables aren't declared lexical right there, how can the parser
tell in a case like

        for ($a, $b, $c) (@list) { ... }

that it means multiple loop variables, and not

        for $_ ($, $b, $c) etc

IANAPE (I Am Not A Parsing Expert).  So I thought I would see if anyone who
was could say whether this construct would really give the parser problems
or whether looking ahead for the block will disambiguate.

Unfortunate that (I assume that) it couldn't extend to the modifier form as
well.
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies