On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 02:51:14PM -0700, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Well, OK, so now we're talking shades of opinion.  You'd agree it
> works, though, and quite effectively.  But you'd disagree about its
> aesthetics, and its performance.  The former is much less
> interesting to me than the latter.

Here-docs are all about aesthetics.  Otherwise, we'd just be using
regular strings.

> That's fair, except that they aren't equivalent: you'd need
>
>    die
>    '    The old lie'."\n".
>    '  Dulce et decorum est'."\n".
>    '      Pro patria mori.'."\n";

Just to be silly...

    die join "\n",
    '    The old lie',
    '  Dulce et decorum est',
    '      Pro patria mori.','';

> Which is somewhat worse, compared to the here doc, even with "!" or
> other leading demarcation of choice (your choice, is, of course,
> none).

They're all yicky.

> > I'd prefer if here-docs just DWIM.

> Yes, but... what do you mean vs. what do others mean, and all these
> problems....

Others can continue to put the here-doc tag flush left if they don't
want this behavior.  I'd like to keep it clear that I consider all the
proposals orthoganal, each solving a different (yet often overlapping)
set of problems.

> This leads me down another path: wouldn't it be nice to have a
> function to interpolate a string on demand?

Whoa!  Hey, yes, great idea!  Not so much for his problem, but I can
definately see a need for anyone that's writing any sort of templating
system.

> Then you could hoist the here-doc processing above out of the loop,
> and still get the effects of interpolation inside the loop, which
> would make the performance of here-doc postprocessing much less
> critical... but this means defining variables to hold the
> intermediate results, and moving the here-doc to a different
> location, which might not be as friendly to the understanding of the
> script.

Right.  Moving the text away from the point where it is used has
maintenance problems.

PS  Do you use 132 columns to write mail?

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse