On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:52:16AM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> Before you scream "Bloody murder", please read on...

I'll wait patiently for the end...

>    if( $is_fitting && $is_just ) {
>          die subst /\s{8}(.*?\n)/$1/g, qq/
>              The old lie
>            Dulce et decorum est
>                Pro patria mori.
>          /;
>    }
>
> Seems to work for me (and yes I'm working on a prototype of RFC 164's
> functions).

No, it still has all the problems of any other regex-based solution.
If you shift the code right or left, it breaks (due to the \s{8}) and
you're back to counting whitespace again.  And as Glen pointed out,
what about that leading newline?

Can I scream now?

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse