On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 12:07:18PM -0200, Branden wrote:
> The issue is actually not auto-downloading modules and their prerequisites,
> but actually packaging several scripts and modules in one file, so as Java's
> jar do. I think supporting this would be neat.

I thought about making a "par" utility.  It would basically do this:

        # for each module needed...
        perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=foo LIB=foo/lib
        make test
        make install

Then you just stick your program into foo/bin or something and tar it
all up and ship it off.  The "pun" utility (I couldn't resist) then
untars the thing and runs "perl -Ifoo/lib foo/bin/whatever.plx".

Any obvious flaws?  Poke me enough and I'll get around to doing it.

> As to the question of security, if you download a script on a site that says
> it does XYZ and you actually trust the script does XYZ (trust in the sense
> that you *believe* it), I don't see why wouldn't you trust that the script
> would load modules that aren't harmful, either from CPAN or from another
> place.

Download Memoize from CPAN sometime and install it.  Make sure you're
sitting down.  All it takes is one joker, or one person to have a bad
day, or get a little too drunk one night near a computer.

We *can* automate security auditing of CPAN.  I know it can be done
because I've seen it done on smaller scales and it will happen.  If
you missed it, look at the CPANTS synopsis
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg00148.html

Its vapor yet, but its all within the realm of "solved problems".

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
BOFH excuse #301:

appears to be a Slow/Narrow SCSI-0 Interface problem