On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 11:21:17AM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> I'm not sure this is all necessary. Wouldn't we be reasonably better off if
> we instead just shipped off bytecode compiled versions of the scripts?

Sure, except...
    1) You lose your readable source code (discussions of B::Deparse as
       a viable alternative > /dev/null)
    2) You have to make provisions to distribute your documentation
       seperately.
    3) It makes it harder to bundle non-Perl things, like configuration
       files, images, sound files, etc...  If you want to send those along
       with the bytecode you windup needing a par-style utility anyway.
    4) What Brenden said
    5) Do YOU have a stable bytecode compiler??  I don't.

Perhaps it wasn't clear, I don't mean to have par as part of 6.0, I
mean to have it out, like, maybe next month if I decide to work on it.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Kids - don't try this at--oh, hell, go ahead, give it a whirl...