Nathan Wiger wrote:
> To rehash, all this discussion should involve is the possibility of
> making "my" swallow its list args:
>    my $x, $y, $z;   # same as  my($x, $y, $z)
> That's it. No changing the way lists and , and = work in Perl.

But they are inextricably bound by perl's parsing rules.
You can't just change 'my's precedence and expect ",", "=", etc.
to be unaffected.

> If you want to use split you still have to say:
>    my($name, $passwd) = split ':';

Special-casing this is unacceptable.

>    FOR
>      1. It becomes more consistent with other Perl functions

AGAINST:
        Consistency with functions (not "other" functions) is
        not a goal.

>      2. It makes certain uses easier to write and understand,
>         such as when declaring lots of variables on the same
>         line. Many expect this:
>              my $x, $y, $z;
>         to DWIM.

AGAINST:
        WYM is apparently not what most perl programmers mean.

--
John Porter

You can't keep Perl6 Perl5.