At 03:23 PM 3/26/2001 -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> >   SC> Why can't Perl automagically do a Schwartzian when it sees a
> >   SC> comparison with complicated operators or functions on each side of
> >   SC> it?  That is, @s = sort { f($a) <=> f($b) } @t would Do The Right
> >   SC> Thing.
> >
> > because that would require the PSI::ESP module which isn't working
> > yet.
>
>Not at all.  Simon's example looks like a simple case of memoization.
>The cache only needs to be maintained for the duration of the sort,
>and it alleviates the need for complicated map{} operations.

The only issue there is whether memoization is appropriate. It could be
argued that it isn't (it certainly isn't with perl 5) though I for one
wouldn't mind being able to more aggressively assume that data was
semi-constant... (Imagine returning tied data from a function loaded in via
do(). Imagine the optimizer. Imagine Dan's brain popping out of his head
and hiding behind the bookcase)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk