Taking a page from JavaScript, it would be nice in the same vein to be
able to access the "context" (stack frame type context, not scalar/list
type context) of a method, either running or not.

The idea is that if the information was available, a module could start
multiple threads, spawn them across more than one machine, etc. (Think
of one of those db server "dashboard" arrangements, or of [EMAIL PROTECTED])

This would need some way of asking for the current
namespace/environment/stack context so that it could be serialized.

=Austin

--- Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   DS> I've mumbled about it on and off. I'd like to be able to do:
>
>   DS>    $foo = new Bar;
>   DS>    print SOCKET serialze($foo);
>
>   DS> and on the other end do:
>
>   DS>    $foo = unserialize(<SOCKET>);
>   DS>    $foo->bar();
>
>   DS> I don't know that much has been made of it yet.
>
> well, Data::Dumper/eval does this kinda and the new Denter (from the
> creator of InLine) does it too and probably better. the biggest
> problem
> is marking the boundaries of multiple serialized thingies on the pipe
> and doing the proper i/o and buffering that entails. i have done the
> same stuff for stem and it is not difficult but not trivial either. i
> think it would be best to support a decent (un)serializer in a
> standard
> module and let another module handle the i/o and buffering stuff.
> then
> you can use them in different ways such as saving the serialized data
> in
> a DB or a file instead of only sending over a socket.
>
> also dealing with sending object thingies over a socket is a perfect
> thing to do with an event loop. just had to bring that up again. :)
>
> uri
>
> --
> Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------
> http://www.sysarch.com
> SYStems ARCHitecture and Stem Development ------
> http://www.stemsystems.com
> Learn Advanced Object Oriented Perl from Damian Conway - Boston, July
> 10-11
> Class and Registration info:
http://www.sysarch.com/perl/OOP_class.html

=====