> : This one. I see a filehandle in *boolean* context meaning "read to $_",
> : just like the current "while (<FOO>)" magic we all know and occasionally
> : love. I'd expect $FOO.readln (or something less Pascalish) to do an
> : explicit readline to a variable other than $_
>
> It would be $FOO.next, but yes, that's the basic idea.  It's possible
> that iterator variables should be more syntactically distinquished than
> that.  One could, I suppose, make up something about $<FOO or $<FOO>
> meaning the same thing thing as $FOO.next, for people who are homesick
> for the angles, but I haven't thought that out, and don't even dare to
> mention it here for fear someone will take it as a promise.  Er, oops...

So, just to clarify, the thought is:

   print while ($FOO);    # like Perl 5 <FOO>
   $var = $FOO.next;      # like Perl 5 $var = <FOO>;

I assume that this is indicative of a more general iterator syntax, and
subject to indirect objects?

   $FH = open "<$file" or die "Can't open $file: $!";
   $line = next $FH;

If so, I can live with that.

-Nate