In lists.projects.perl.language, you wrote:
>It's likely to work better in Perl 6.  To mean what it currently
>means, you'll probably have to write something like:
>
>        @foo[0] := <STDIN>;
>
>The colon here is not functioning merely to make the assignment look
>like Pascal.  It means, in this case, the following operator is
>intended to work on arrays, not scalars.  Hence, :+ would be pairwise
>array addition.

Why a colon?  It has no particular connection to arrays that I can see,
and it will confuse people who know what := means in Pascal.

An (ugly) alternative might be @= or @+ which at least have a connection
to the @ sign in the array name and could be read as "array assignment"
and "array addition".

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://infotrope.net/
Anyone who wants to can call themselves a pervert or a queer, but slut