Trey Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think I've missed something, even after poring over the archives for
> some hours looking for the answer.  How does one write defaulting
> subroutines a la builtins like print() and chomp()? Assume the code:
>
>   for <> {
>      printRec;
>   }
>   printRec "Done!";
>
>   sub printRec {
>      chomp;
>      print ":$_:\n";
>   }

You could take advantage of subroutine signatures and multi-dispatch

    sub printRec()     { printRec($_) } # No args, therefore no new topic.
    sub printRec($rec) { .chomp; print ":$rec:\n" } # 1 arg

Assuming we *get* multidispatch that is. It would be nice to hope that
the compiler could optimize that...

--
Piers

   "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a language in
    possession of a rich syntax must be in need of a rewrite."
         -- Jane Austen?