From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Wow, this is nice. He means (I think) that this will be translated into
> my Date $bday = Date->new('June 25, 2002');

I rather like it too, but it hinges on how strictly typing is enforced.  If
typing is strictly enforced then it works because the VM can always know
that since Date isn't a String, it should call the FROM_STRING static
method if such a method is available.

However, it appears that typing won't be so strictly enforced, in which
case the intent becomes ambiguous.  Does the line mean to instantiate Date
using the string, or to just assign the string to $bday and just have the
wrong type?

Is there some kind of third option?  I have to admit I've always found Java
commands like "Date bday = new Date('June 25, 2002')" somehow redundant.

-Miko

http://mail2web.com/ .