On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 04:44  AM, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> People have used the terms "error" and "exception" interchangably in
> this disucssion.  To me, an "error" is something that stops program
> execution while an "exception" may or may not stop execution depending
> on what the user decides to do about exceptions.

Agreed.  I've meant "exception" in my comments, in the trappable sense
of the term.  I don't see much need for a true untrappable error - one
man's error is another man's case.

> 1/0 could throw an exception, yet continue execution.  Somewhere I
> expect we should be able to define a policy for what to do in these
> situations.
>
>       use Policy DivideByZero => Nan;
>       use Policy DivideByZero => Inf;
>       use Policy DivideByZero => DivideByZeroException;
>
> I'm sure someone else can pick a better syntax than I.

I don't think there are going to be many real situations when people
would want Inf or Undef (99% of the rare cases where people think they
might want it, they're probably wrong ;-), but NaN or Exception could
indeed be common needs.

  -Ken