At 10:02 AM -0800 10/29/02, Larry Wall wrote:
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:
: Perhaps the best thing to do is to define a word operator for
: superpositions and, if they later become really popular, snag some
: generally-available* extended character to represent the operators.

Sorry, I believe in the transactional model of QM, and the future
has already reached back in time and grabbed | and &.   :-)
Well, I suppose when people use them as bitwise operators they won't be any more confusingly wrong then they often are now...

: *Generally available meaning in all of the Shift-JIS, Big5, and
: Unicode sets, assuming there are some that aren't Kanji

I believe & and | already satisfy that particular constraint.  :-)

So does X, for that matter.
I was thinking more of the double-vertical bar or one of the stars. I admit I'm really not sure that the quantum operations will be used enough to warrant blowing people's expectations of bitwise operations, even if the bitwise operations aren't used that much. Not my call, though--it's all assembly as far as I'm concerned. :)
--
Dan

Dan Sugalski even samurai
[EMAIL PROTECTED] have teddy bears and even
teddy bears get drunk