Dan Kogai wrote:

> We already have source filters in perl5 and I'm pretty much sure
> someone will just invent yet another 'use operators => "ascii";' kind
> of stuff in perl6.

I think that's backwards to have operators being funny characters by
default but requiring explicit declaration to use well-known Ascii
characters.

Doing it t'other way round would mean that you can always write fully
portable code fragments in pure Ascii, something that'd be helpful on
mailing lists and the like.

There could be an alias syntax for people in an environment where they'd
prefer to have a non-Ascii character in place of a conglomerate of Ascii
symbols, maybe:

  treat '»...«' as '[>...<]';

That has the documentational advantage that any non-Ascii character used
in code must be declared earlier in that file.  And even if the
non-Ascii character gets warped in the post and displays oddly for you,
you can still see what the author intended it to do.

This has the risk that Damian described of everybody defining their own
operators, but I think that's unlikely.  There's likely to be a
convention used by many people, at least those who operate in a given
character set.  This way also permits those who live in a Latin 2 (or
whatever) world to have their own convention using characters that make
sense to them.

Smylers