Richard Proctor wrote:

> I am sitting at a computer that is operating in native Latin-1 and is
> quite happy - there is no likelyhood that UTF* is ever likely to reach
> it.
>
> ... Therefore the only addition characters that could be used, that
> will work under UTF8 and Latin-1 and Windows ...

What about people who don't use Latin-1, perhaps because their native
language uses Latin-2 or some other character set mutually exclusive
with Latin-1?

I don't have a Latin-2 ('Central and East European languages') typeface
handy, but its manpage includes:

  253   171   AB         LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH CARON
  273   187   BB         LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CARON

"Caron" is sadly missing from my dictionary so I'm not sure what those
would look like, but I suspect they wouldn't be great symbols for vector
operators.

> 171   «       May well be used

Also I wonder how similar to doubled less-than or greater-than signs
guillemets would look.  In this font they're fine, but I'm concerned at
my abilities to make them sufficiently distinguishable on a whiteboard,
and whether publishers will cope with them (compare a recent discussion
on 'use Perl' regarding curly quotes and "fi" ligatures appearing in
code samples).

Smylers