John Siracusa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, er, don't we need to decide what the subroutine attribute is, so that
> the compiler will know to honor it and make the code "disappear"?  It
> doesn't seem like a feature that can be added from "userland" after the fact
> (but maybe I'm wrong...)

In Perl 5 that could be done from userland, as you say, by using an
optree manipulator (optimizer.pm for example). This could even be
lexically scoped. [Once the compiler hints are fixed.]

I expect Perl 6 to ship with (Parrot::* ?) modules that allow to examine and
to modify the compiled form of the programs. Something that probably Java 6
will not have...