Sam Vilain wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:10, you wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Lazzaro) writes:

I don't think any aspect
of this discussion is hinged on people being 'ignorant' of perl5
behaviors,

Oh, I do, and you've dismissed that argument out of hand. This isn't
name-calling; this is a plea for Perl 6 not to become a language

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

designed by a committee of ignorant amateurs. The Lord knows that

languages designed by committees of professional standards-writers are
pretty bad, and we're still a long way from that.

In the very young field of programming, aren't we all ignorant amateurs?

Perhaps in the grand scheme of things; however, anyone that is
redesigning a system should not be ignorant of how the old system
worked (even in the slightest degree), in order to know of what to
keep and what to throw away.
Any programmer who doesn't know that they are ignorant are almost certainly instead arrogant.

Ignorant of what?  Surely we shouldn't assume that we're all ignorant
of Perl?

Joseph F. Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]