Erik Steven Harrison wrote:

--

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:29:29 Joseph F. Ryan wrote:

As near as I can tell, the only problem with the nice flow of:

A I<literal> is a piece of data.
A I<scalar> is a variable that holds a literal.

A I<list> is a sequence of literals and scalars.
An I<array> is a variable that holds a list.

is the "Rvalue-assign list", which takes the form of:

($r1, $r2, $r3) = (1, 2, 3);

I don't see a problem here. The list on the right is still just value, unmodifiable. It is a list of rvalues. When you use a variable on the right hand side it is a rvalue. Similarly, a list of variables doesn't flatten to it's values - it is the list itself that it is immutable. It's individual members still retain asignibility in rvalue context.

-Erik

Ah, I'm a compete fool.  I meant Lvalue, not Rvalue.  If you could do
a mental s:e/Rvalue/Lvalue on that last message, I would appreciate it.

Joseph F. Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]