On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:38:34PM -0400, Austin Hastings wrote:
> The use of % as a modulo operator is purely a legacy from 'C', where it was
> a failure: in 'C', the only number you care about for modulus is some power
> of 2, and you get those using bitwise-and anyway.

I disagree with this completely.  I've used % plenty of times in C
for circular buffers that were not a powers of 2.  % as modulus in C
is NOT a failure.

> If there is no comma-optional case, then you might even say:
>
>   $foo % bar
>   $foo % $bar
>
>   @foo @ 10 % bar  (for some reason, I can't like @ as an array dereference.
> [] does it for me.)

I'd favor Juerd's proposal over this madness any day :)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff                     Division of Nearshore Research
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Senior Systems Analyst II