On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:37:23PM -0400, John Macdonald wrote:
What about "$x\n"? The backslash already has meaning in strings

I use hash elements far more often outside than inside strings, so I could live with having to write $x«foo» for interpolated hash elements.

Anyway, you're missing the point of my question. Since shorthand for hash elements has already been banned from the core by Larry, I'm now just exploring what is involved with adding it later on, independent of what actual syntax I'd use (a bashtick, backslash, or something else).

--
Matthijs van Duin  --  May the Forth be with you!