Dov Wasserman writes:

> "Larry Wall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> >                 next D          next N          all D           all N
> >                 ======          ======          =====           =====
> >     $iter       $iter.pull      ?1              $iter.pull      ?2
> >     @array      @array.pull     @array.values   @array.pull     @array
> >     $array      $array.pull     $array.values   $array.pull     @$array
> >     %hash       %hash.pull      %hash.values    @array.pull     %hash.values
> >     $hash       $hash.pull      $hash.values    @array.pull     $hash.values
> >
> > After all, a pull is the other end of a push.
>
> True in real life, but why not pop as the destructive evil twin of push?
>
> I think 'pop' more clearly indicates a removing iteration than 'pull'.
> And its 25% shorter!  But mainly because it's an established term for
> the exact concept we're going for here.

Except that it's an established term for an operation at the _opposite_
end of the list.  C<pop> is only the opposite of C<pull> if you're
thinking about a stack; if you're thinking about a queue then C<shift>
is the current named used.

So C<pop> would work, but would yield values in the opposite order to
that which many people are expecting.

Smylers