On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 12:03:10AM -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
: I've already had my epiphany about POD, though, so I'll spare doing it
: again.  In short, there are two things that I see about POD that need to
: change:
:
: =over
:
: =item 1)
:
: C<=directive> lines shouldn't have to be in their own paragraph, in
: order to condense lists and make them more readable from POD source.

Yes, I plan to bless that one, though I don't think I've said it publicly.

: =item 2)
:
: (The one that has been made clear several times) When an =end foo closes
: a =begin foo that opened the POD section, the =end should close the POD
: section.

Likewise a bare =for in the middle of Perl code should revert to Perl code
at the end.

: No tables.  Keep the number of things that I can distract myself with
: when I should be writing documentation down to a clean 565.  I don't
: need 566.

However.  It's possible to make really clean pod tables by processing
verbatim lines as tab-separated values.  We did the tables in Camel
3 that way, though it took a special preprocessor/postprocessor that
understood C<=begin table> and C<=end table>, and also understood that
lines consisting of all ---- fields are special, and that consecutive
verbatim paragraphs are part of the same table.  The main trick is to
split not on /\t/ but on /\t+/.  That way you can use multiple tabs
to keep your columns aligned.  The main downside is sometimes your
tables get too wide for 80 columns.  A secondary downside is that
people's formatting gets off when they quote your table in email.
I think our table processor also allowed a bit of font modification,
which verbatim paragraphs don't normally allow.  That was a necessary
luxury in our case.

But you can make some rather pretty POD tables that actually have enough
information to keep the columns straight.

Larry

Larry