John Williams writes:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Matt Diephouse wrote:
>
> > Don't say -1st is the "first from last". If last is the opposite of
> > first, I would expect 1st to mean "first from first," which would
> > mean the second. Say "first from the end".
>
> It matches up with perl5 C<$array[-1]> and is a workable
> interpretation of negative ordinals.
>
> So I could think that way too.
>
>    @ary[ 1st .. -1st ]    # hmm...

But it doesn't match up.  In Perl 5 the first element is indexed with
zero, not 1st, and the indices wrap round -- which is convenient in some
circumstances, especially when representing grids of things.

Using 1st and -1st means that there's a 'gap': the wrapping-round misses
a number out, which then has to be dealt with as special case.

(But personally I'm quite happy with zero-based arrays, so as long as
-1 continues to work for those I'm not too bothered what happens with
other cases.)

Smylers