On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:07:24AM -0400, Stevan Little wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2005, at 2:10 AM, Robin Redeker wrote:
> >And what will be the default syntax to call
> >a method on self? If everyone has completly other
> >preferences about this, for example this horrible ./method()
> >syntax, which completly wont fit into the language, whose
> >favorite will be the default?
> >None at all?
> >An explicit call, like $?SELF.method () ?
>
> I have never understood what is wrong with this:
>
> method foo ($self: $bar) {
>       $self.baz()
> }

Thats a fine option to have.
But therecomes another question to my mind:
what do i get with writing 'method' instead of
'sub'? is it just for seperating subroutines and methods optically
or is there a deeper reason?

> Then you can easily so whatever you like:
>
> ## for our Java inclined friends
> method foo ($this: $bar) {
>       $this.baz()
> }

or C++

> Why does it have to be some sugared syntax when you can just simple
> name it in the parameter list?

Yes, but there seem to be quite some people who want
a 'cool' syntax for it. (ie. ./method ()).

No syntax at all, like in C++ just method() would
be the shortest. But larry says no, and everyone seems to
agree.

robin

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]