On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 05:08:43PM -0400, Stevan Little wrote:
: Howdy,
:
: I wanted to make sure this question had a chance to get addressed, so I
: am seperating it from the other thread which has digressed into the
: depths of the metamodel (much to my delight too).
:
: So..., as described in the other thread, the following statements are
: true about the metamodel.
:
: 1) MetaClass is a subclass of Object
: 2) MetaClass is an instance of MetaClass
:
: So the following code should be true (given a random instance $obj).
:
:   $obj.meta.isa(MetaClass);
:   $obj.meta.isa(Object);
:
: Because after all, the object returned from $obj.meta should be a
: MetaClass instance right?
:
: However, Syn/Apoc 12 shows that the following is true if $foo is an
: instance of the Foo class.
:
:   $foo.meta.isa(Foo)
:
: And that $foo.isa(Foo) actually is just an alias for $foo.meta.isa(Foo).

The A12 verbiage was intended to indicate delegation rather than
aliasing, so there's certainly room for calling a different method
name in the meta class.

: So I am sure you can see my problem here.
:
: The p5 prototype currently handles it as such:
:
:   $foo->isa(Foo) # returns true if $foo is an instance of Foo
:   $foo->meta->isa(MetaClass) # returns true since $foo->meta returns a
: MetaClass instance
:   $foo->meta->is_a(Foo) # returns true, note the added '_'
:
: Personally I am not a fan of the 'is_a' name, I just did it one day,
: and it sort of stuck.

Well, hey, I'm not a fan of the "isa" name, so I guess we're even.

: But I do think we need to find a way to
: differentiate between the two questions:
:
: - What class are you an instance of?
: - What class are you describing?

So why not just use "describes"?  Then maybe Object.isa(Foo) delegates
to $obj.meta.describes(Foo).

: The first question can be asked of anything which inherits from Object.
: The second question is really only relevant to MetaClass instances.
:
: Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

My suggestion would be to assume that the Apocalypses are primarily
intended to be entertaining rather than factual. :-)

Larry