* wolverian ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [050925 11:57]:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 12:52:08PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> > Hackers on this list, what do you think?
>
> I think separating the two is extremely confusing. I do not see any uses
> for it, but maybe I am not thinking hard enough.

Of course, having  "$thing".'x'  produce something else than $thing.'x'
is very confusion, however, they have a different purpose:

Stringification/Numification should be used to let an object play its
natural role within the program.  For instance, some "Temperature"
object producing 273 when compared to the melting point of water.

Interpolation should be used on places where output is generated, where
the outside consumer has less knowledge about the internals.  Like "273'C"
for the same Temperature object.  Sorry, my program uses Celcius ;-)

I like to have this behavior.

The question is: will the two different uses be visible enough that
the average programmer will understand it after a while, or will this
become one of those nasty dark corners of the language which no-one
dares to touch?  The more constructs (like pairs, junctions, and hashes)
produce different results for both cases, the better the choice for
distinction is, because people get aware of it without reading a book.
--
               MarkOv

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]