On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 17:36:04 -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
> Sure, when it slows down your compiler so much that it's useless for
> running code that doesn't have the error, especially if it's a rare
> error that is likely to be caught some other way anyway.  Where to
> balance this should be the decision of the user, particularly since
> the balance point changes over time and space.

Good point... Is there half-way solution, btw?

Perhaps type inferrencing annotation rich areas is a good idea to
help a user who is trying to debug by adding more of these.

> It's also potentially counterproductive if the information available
> at compile time leads to confusingly abstract error messages when
> run-time information might produced clearer concrete error messages.
> When I use the term "confusing", I do so in the Pooh sense.  I'm trying
> to think of what will be confusing to ordinary folks, not to geniuses
> like you.

*blush*.

For the record it takes me roughly 1 irc client or around 10
careful, concentrated rereadings to understand what GHC tells me in
these situations, but for the record.

A useful reference is the Error Messages section on this page:

        http://www.haskell.org/ghc/survey2005-summary.html

It mentions both that there are active areas of research on how to
make these better, and that GHC messages both suck and don't suck at
the same time.

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me dodges cabbages like macalypse log N: neeyah!