Mark Overmeer skribis 2006-03-05 10:44 (+0100):
> I know about the naming scheme, but I am not really looking forward
> to the two new perl books "Perl DBI-(Any)-cpan:TIMB"
>                       and "Perl DBI-(Any)-mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

I think that's a very good argument for managing namespace centrally
(but not necessarily against using this scheme).

> I would really like to maintain a certain hierarchical name-space
> structure on CPAN, where we strive for unique names, although can work
> around accidental collissions.

In principle I agree, but to be honest, hierarchical names make less and
less sense by the day, as techniques are combined, and new many new
things overlap much.

Often it is hard to choose between top level namespaces, or to choose
which part of your module name you put first. And once you settle on a
name, it's even quite likely that although it describes the way you
intended the module to be used, it doesn't cover all the bases. See
DBIx::XHTML_Table and Apache::Session, that have nothing to do with DBI
and Apache, respectively.

More and more, I like cute names that don't really describe the module.
We have abstracts for the latter.

Juerd