Thomas Wittek skribis 2007-05-15  1:03 (+0200):
> > On the other hand, the overall structure of a program is often more
> > obvious, exactly because so much more fits in one screenful.
> My suggestions won't have an impact on the expressiveness of Perl.

Not so.

Consider /@foo/, which is an alternation of all the elements of @foo.
That's not "just" interpolation, it's something very smart, and even
without seeing the context that this regex is in, I know how to read
this. I don't have to scroll back up to find out that "foo" was once
assigned an array.

> So in many cases you might have even less characters on your screen.

Less characters isn't always better. Often it's worse, sometimes it's
better. It appears to me a hell of a job to find out when it's what, and
I think Larry figured it out quite well.

> Of course some special character sequences would be replaced by word
> character sequences, but that won't fill your screen by a magnitude.

Of course. Every symbol can be substituted for a word comma but that
doesn apostrophe t automatically make code easier to read period I think
a language needs a good balance between symbols and letters comma and
for a programming language comma I think alternating between the two is
close to a perfect balance comma whereas in human languages once, every
$few (words) is.probably<better>; "period"
--
korajn salutojn,

  juerd waalboer:  perl hacker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://juerd.nl/sig>
  convolution:     ict solutions and consultancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>