On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 07:02:37PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> I'm pondering what the proper syntax is for a subroutine parameter with both a
> trait and a default.  That is...
>       sub foo ($arg = 42)
> and
>       sub foo ($arg is readonly)
> together in one parameter.  Would that be
>       sub foo ($arg = 42 is readonly)
> or
>       sub foo ($arg is readonly = 42)
>
> The first looks ambiguous, what if the trait is meant to apply to the default?
> The second looks downright wrong.

The STD.pm grammar [1] shows that the second is the correct form --
i.e., default values occur after traits.  (See "token parameter"
on or about line 2630.)  I think part of the reason for this is that
traits appearing after the default value would be applied to the
default value instead of the parameter.  A few other examples from
the synopses seem to confirm this pattern:

  S03:2289:    my Dog $fido is trained is vicious = 1
  S03:3828:    constant Dog $foo is woof = 123;
  S06:1558:    constant $pi is approximated = 3;
  S12:1393:    has SomeType $.prop is rw = 1;

1.  http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/src/perl6/STD.pm

> PS  Incidentally, it seems silly to have "is rw" but not "is ro".  I keep
> writing "is ro".

Yes, we've also run into this problem a few times while working on Rakudo.

Pm