Doug McNutt wrote:

my ($x, $y) = $vector «·« ( [1, 0], [0, 1] );

After a while I became resigned to the fact that dot and cross
products were not what was being offered. Instead a product of two
vectors was to be simply a component by component multiply that
produced another "vector" of the same size  as the arguments.

It appears that is what is being done in the formula above.

No, I am assuming that it is a real dot-product: the hypers are there because the RHS is a list of basis vectors; so the output is a list of magnitudes in the directions of those bases. For the UTF-challenged, I'd want an ascii form:

   my ($x, $y) = $vector <<dot<< ( [1, 0], [0, 1] );