David Grove wrote:

> I don't really understand what this is trying to say (7-8).

Section (7) makes it clear that you can put a copy of Perl or FooPerl with a
bunch of other stuff on a CD and legally distribute it.  This would probably
be permitted under copyright law anyway, but I think this is one case where
it's worth stating for sure, so people don't ask "Can I do this?".  I was
thinking particularly of people who make CPAN CD's and mirrors along with
proprietary software.

Section (8) allows people to take their Perl program, and use a
perl2exe-style programs, and make a binary out of it, and be permitted to
distribute that binary without any restrictions.

Section (8) also gives blanket permission if people want to embed Perl in a
larger system to get a job done.  For example, if you build a VCR that uses
Perl and it's all burned into ROM, you can do that, make it all proprietary,
and not have any other obligations under the license.

I build Section (7) and Section (8) based on what I *thought* the original
Artistic license was trying to do.

> However, when it comes to perl itself, they should be required to provide
> freely redistributable sources and binaries for perl itself under the same
> license, to prevent them from going off onto a proprietary tangent of the
> language itself. If nothing else, they should need to provide it as an
> optional available distribution (plural if source _and_ binary) apart from
> their aggregates, without charge. It can't be an option that they
> proprietarize the source and binary of perl itself just because they add a
> little doodad.

If that doodad is user-visible and is more than mere aggregation, then
Section (7) and (8) don't apply.  They would have to distribute under the
terms of (4) or (6).

> Let ActiveState make their PerlScript, PerlEX, and pseudocompiler if they
> want, and charge whatever they want for it. But if perl is to be free, it
> needs to be redistributable without any loopholes providing them the
> ability to proprietarize the language itself, or make a community
> dependent upon themselves for the core language.

Under (5b), they could make their proprietary software PerlEX and
PerlScript.

There is no way around that, I don't think, unless we use the GPL-only for
perl, and that's surely not something the community wants!

We could force them to call it FooEX and FooScript with a trademark on Perl;
but that would be up to Larry to decide to go for the trademark.

> This appears to provide such a loophole that needs to be closed.

I don't see the loophole you are describing, at least not in (7) and (8).  I
realize that (5b) is a so-called "loophole" that allows PerlEX and
PerlScript, but I don't think the Perl community wants to close that
"loophole"; to do so would be going the full copyleft route.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn  -  http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn

PGP signature