Well, THAT was certainly specific, insightful, politely phrased, and
filled with pertinent advice on how to remedy the problem!

Alan, you're right about certain things...it's important that talented,
experienced people have the final say over the final product. However,
most of the problems in every field of human endeavor come down to the
fact that there just aren't very many talented, experienced people.  What
that means is that we take our top people, enshrine them as design gods,
approvers of submitted code, and coders of RHP (Really Hard Problems), and
then we allow as many enthusiastic people as possible to try to solve the
less hard problems...the best of these attempts gets used, the rest get
thrown out by the top people.  Yes, it's a lot of work for them and no,
it's not really what anyone would choose in an ideal world, but it's
proven to work...unless, of course, you'd call Linux a "slow motion train
wreck."

        The other reason to do it this way is that if we DON'T let new (==
"less experienced") people help out, how are they ever going to get more
experienced at the problems that we need solved?  And if the pool of
available experienced people never grows, how is Perl supposed to survive?

                                Dave

(PS:  I do not by any stretch of the imagination include myself in the
list of "top people.")